T his pancake is incredibly fluffy (amazing for gluten free) and very filling.
Terrific for a quick breakfast.
Pancakes are usually quite energy dense and nutrient poor, high in refined carbs, moderate in protein and low in fibre (see table below).
The lupin pancake is more nutritious, has 30% less calories, 60% less refined carbs, 400% more fibre and 50% more protein so can be included in a weight loss program.
One lupin pancake (100g) is only 150 calories so there is room to add a further 50-100 calories as TOPPING if you are having it for breakfast e.g
a) 2 tbs cottage cheese (or 1 tbs ricotta or 1/4 avocado) and 1 slice of
smoked salmon (or vegemite – tastes great with avocado or cottage/ricotta cheese)
b) 1/2 cup berries with 2 tablespoons of yoghurt
c) sprinkle 1/2 tsp sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
d) 2 tsp peanut butter
If you added parmesan cheese to the mixture then add some low calorie savoury toppings like wilted spinach, mushrooms and grilled tomato.
INGREDIENTS (for single pancake 100g)
1tbs (10g) lupin flour
1 tbs (10g) gluten free flour (or spelt or plain flour if not avoiding gluten)
1 tbs yoghurt (2% fat) (this will make pancake fluffy)
1 egg (50g cracked weight)
1/4 tsp (1g) baking powder or soda (this will make pancake fluffy)
1/4 tsp (1g) cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp of sweetener (stevia etc) (optional) or 1 tablespoon (10g) parmesan cheese if you prefer a savoury pancake
1) Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl.
2) Add egg and yoghurt to dry ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are dispersed.
3) Mixture will have a thick paint consistency (if its too thick add a little milk or water).
4) Let mixture rest for about 10min – this helps to activate raising agent.
5) Spray a small frying pan with oil and heat over low heat.
6) Pour all the mixture into the frying pan.
7) Cook until bubbles start to burst on the top. Flip and cook for about 1min on the other side. Pancake should be golden on both sides so adjust heat accordingly.
8) Serve with suggested toppings mentioned above.
Check out Monash University’s lupin pancake recipe: